The World Aflame - Dan Jones & Marina Amaral

The World Aflame

Review by Andrea

Rating:9/10

This is the next book after A Colour of Time. But this one is more based on certain events that happened during the time period. This book mostly follows what took place during during the war and conflict that took place during 1914 and 1945. This contains pictures that were taken during both World Wars while men were fighting all over the world. I would also point out that this book is not for the faint hearted as it contains a few images that are a bit gruesome or hard hitting.

For those that didn't see the last blog about the first book, which I recommend you do, I'll give a little rundown, this book is the joint work of Dan and Marina. Dan does all the write ups and historical stuff while Marina has transformed over 200 pictures from black and white into colour. This has the same lay out as the previous book, and contains 13 chapters. Each chapter had a 2 page spread that gives an overview of what happened during the time period that it covers. There is a time line at the bottom of the 2 pages that pin points 10 key dates that are covered in each chapter. Each chapter contains about 10 photos, while some have a few more. Each photo has about 2 paragraphs worth of write up, this gives more detail about the photo and on the odd occasion explains who and why it was taken, along with a few words that are from the person who took the photo. The book has the same 432 pages as were in A colour of Time, again if take out about the 20 or so pages of write ups then the rest is the photos. 

I will admit that the history of both the First and Second World War is something that I don't really know to much about. So reading this at times was a bit hard. But it has made me come away wanting to know more about certain things. There are also a few things that I thought I knew, but was wrong, for example Hitler and Mussolini didn't really see eye to eye. 

The first chapter starts at with the 1900s and shows everything that led up to the start of the First World War in 1915. The last chapter is 1945-46, and shows everything that happened once the Second World War ended. All the chapters in between this show all that took place once WWI broke out all the way till it's end and the same with the outbreak of WWII in 1945. In the middle there is the odd photo that show what was taking place during the Wars as well as other things that were happening around the world at the same time that are not connected.

Compared to A Colour of Time, this book is worlds apart. To me it is a lot more serious and at times darker with some of the content that it contains. I would definitely recommend it to someone who has a keen interest in both World Wars or if like me love the books that Dan Jones writes. I hope that at some point Dan and Marina come together and do a third book as they are so fascinating to see and read about. This type of book for me brings alive the history a bit more, some of these photos people would have seen at some point in their lives. But by adding some colour to this photos it add something to them and gives everything a breath of life. 

When I head that Dan and Marina had worked together to bring this book I did what I do with most of Dan's books and I pre ordered it. I will admit that I was a bit sceptical about the first one, as didn't know what to expect, but because I had recently read it I knew what to expect with this second one so was happy to read it. I may admit that because it was based around the World Wars I was bit put off seeing as not my area of expertise and dare I say it for me I'm not that interested. Just like the first one it did take me a while to read it but I eventually finished it and feel better for doing so. I came away having learnt a few things and the slight desire to read more into some of what I read.









Comments

Popular This Week