Six the Musical - Review


Henry VIII wives are alive and rewriting their own history. 

For Christmas my mum got me tickets to see Six the Musical. I have only seen the odd performance on TV, and hadn't had the chance to see
the actual show. I was both exited and nervous about going as didn't know what to expect, but me and my mum were both blown away from start to finish. I had it in the back of my mind that it would be a piss take of these strong historic women and that it might have a few inaccuracies, but I was completely wrong and I have already my booked tickets for the tour next year.

They came out and sung their first song together, which was an roughly an overview of who they were, how they were famous and obviously Henry VIII. After the first song, it was set out like a contest to see which wife had suffered the most hardships while they were alive and married to Henry VIII. But when last wife, Catherine Parr came up to sing the mood changed as they all seemed to realise that they have only gone down in history for being married to Henry. It was at this point that they all came together and decided to rewrite their stories. 

Each wife had their own song to sing as they all tried to get their points across. Each song was so powerful and emotional as they told their proper story and all the hardships that they had gone through to get to that point. Obviously I would have picked Anne Boleyn as everyone knows that she is my favourite wife, but I also liked Catherine Parr's song, because like I said it made them come together and notice that they needed to work together to rewrite their history so they didn't get remembered just for being married to Henry. A song that really hit me was the one that Jane Seymour performed, it was so heartbreaking as she sang about Henry being her first love and that she didn't get to see her son grow up.

There was so much energy and emotion throughout the whole show and with every song, so much so that I think on a few occasions I had a tear in my eye. Each song told of their history and what happened to them while they were married to Henry and then what happened at the end. There was the odd joke thrown in and taking the mickey out of each other. But it was nice to see them all together and seem to be on the same page. It made me wonder how they would have got in in real life, once they got round their issues and disagreements and realised they were all in the same position.

As a Tudor historian and a massive fan of Anne Boleyn, I was expecting the odd inaccuracy. But apart from Anne's sixth finger being mentioned there was none. Two things that I wasn't keen on was that Anne seemed at times to be playing dumb and that Elizabeth I wasn't mentioned yet Mary and Edward both where.Apart from that the show was amazing. It kept my attention all the way through and I never lost interest. The energy and love that these 6 women had showed all the way through and they definitely deserved the standing ovation they got at the end.

I know I was a bit sceptical about going, but now I would definitely recommend this show to anyone who is like me and loves Tudor History especially the history of Henry's wives. It gives the story of these 6 women a different twist and in a way brings them back alive as though they are telling us their lives from the grave. It's also good if like musicals as this one is not like other well known ones but it is definitely up there. There was a lot of children in the audience, it's a good way for them to learn their history as its a fun way, their maybe a few innuendos but many seem to go over their heads as they don't fully say it or go into it. 


Comments

Popular This Week