British Royal Tombs - Aidan Dodson


British Royal Tombs 

Review by Andrea 

Rating 8/10

I found this book by accident and am so happy that I found it. As a historian I like to know where certain people are buried and this book allowed me to not only see where they are buried, but also gave me a few bits of information either behind the burial or if it hade ever been opened. I am also fascinated by grave hunting so this book was definitely one for me and is now making me want to go to Royal Tombs tour.

I knew where the odd royal tomb was, but there was a few that I honestly had no idea about. The book is broken down into three parts. The first part is the United Kingdom in three sections, Scotland, Wales and England. Each section is then split into each royal house. It then followed the time line from the first monarch's all the way to the latest monarch. Although now it will need updating after the passing of the late Queen Elizabeth II.

Each monarch has a brief write up about their history and then their cause of death. There is then a description about what happened when their body was laid to rest. The last description then states what happened in later years or if the tomb was ever opened and either what was found, why was opened and then what happened when it was closed again.

The second part turns the attention to the royal consorts. It is again split by country and lists them by name along with who they were consort to. It then goes on to mention where they are buried and if anything has happened to the grave. The third part is called the gazetteer, this lists places around the world alphabetically and gives a brief history behind the place. For some of the bigger more famous places like Westminster Abbey there are layouts that are numbered along with a list so can see where people are buried.

The back pages then contain maps that show where some of the burial sites are. There are then lists of the monarchs in order this is also split into regions , this gives their name, dates and the place they were buried. The very last pages contain family trees, that give detail and show how many of these people were related and how the crown was passed down.

Since reading this book I have been to St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle and saw a few more Tombs then I had previously. I now need to go back to places like Westminster as well as places I have yet to go. I may also have to take this book as a guide to help me. This book is ideal for those that want to know a bit more about royal Tombs and burials as well as those that like grave tours. 

Comments

Popular This Week